Lexia can help you engage, celebrate, and extend literacy learning
The suggestions below are meant to extend learning beyond the online student experience of Lexia® PowerUp Literacy®.
Lexia® Skill Builders®
Lexia Skill Builders provide independent, paper-based or digital practice, and an opportunity for students to generalize newly learned skills. Skill Builders are automatically recommended in the Class Action Plan in myLexia after a student completes an online level of PowerUp and can be completed independently. Each set includes activity pages as well as an answer key.
Skill Builders are now available in two formats: Digital (for electronic completion) and PDF (for paper and pencil completion).
Digital Lexia Skill Builders include type-in text boxes, text annotation features, and embedded graphic organizers. They can be used to create assignments through Google Classroom™ or a Learning Management System (LMS) for students to complete electronically. When assigned to student partners, this digital resource supports peer collaboration even outside the classroom.
- To access the digital Skill Builders, log in to myLexia > Resources to access the Resources Hub > Support for Instruction page. When you select a digital Lexia Skill Builder you will be prompted to make your own copy in Google Drive™ online storage service.
Using Lexia Skill Builders for remote learning:
- Share Skill Builders for levels that students have already completed. In some cases, you may also consider sharing Skill Builders for a student’s current level if the student is not able to access the online activities at home with a supported device.
- As noted above, Skill Builders can be completed independently. If support is needed, consider sharing answer keys with families to better support their adolescent learner.
To access and share PDF Skill Builders with students and families, download from the Resources tab of myLexia.com and either:
- Send via email or share as assignments or class resources via your school’s Learning Management System or Google Classroom
- Print packets to send or mail home
- Direct students and families to Lexia’s At-Home Resource Hub to view and download Skill Builders; Provide recommendations to families as appropriate
- If home printing is limited or unavailable, students can write the answers to many questions in a notebook.
Lexia’s Achievement certificates enable you to recognize your students efforts in PowerUp.
- Complete a list of the skill(s) they have developed
- Increase in usage
- Complete a Zone, Level, Activity, or specific Units
- Achieve “high accuracy and slow/medium” rate (found in the Student Skills Report)
Lexia has created additional resources to help support you in the classroom as well as families during times of remote learning. You can use the Student Goal Setting resources below to help motivate your students in the classroom. For remote learning, you can share all of these resources with PowerUp families to help keep their adolescent learners motivated to continue working on their PowerUp Activities. We encourage you to share these resources with families or copy and paste individual tips into any regular communications you have with parents or guardians.
For more ideas and best practices for using PowerUp, contact the Lexia Team.